Margaret T. Karl® 1100 W. Bagley Rd., Ste. 210, Berea, OH 44017 - (440) 973-4145

Visit our sister site:

Home Services About Contact Events Q&A

(440) 973-4145

(855) 560-6062

Margaret T. Karl, Attorney At Law

Legal Services - Estate Planning

1100 W. Bagley Rd., Ste. 210, Berea, OH 44017

We serve most of the Greater Cleveland Area, including Berea, Brunswick, Strongsville, Middleburg Heights,

Olmsted Township, Olmsted Falls, North Olmsted, North Royalton, North Ridgeville, Westlake, North

 Royalton, Parma, Parma Heights, Seven Hills, Independence, Brecksville, Medina, and Columbia Station

Berea, Ohio, weather forecast

Home | Wills & Trusts | Power of Attorneys | Real Estate Transfers | Title Services | HOA Collections

 Medicaid Planning | Tax Minimization | Planned Gifting | Unclaimed Funds | Purchase Agreements

Sales Agreements | Small Business Planning | Estate Administration | Trustee Actions | Probate Actions

Public Speaking | Special Needs

Cleveland Magazine Eldercare Professionals of Ohio, LLC Home Department for Veterans Affairs Accreditation

Wills and Trusts Service

Do I Need a Will or Trust? - Estate Planning

What is the difference between a will and a trust?

A will is a legal document in which you make known how you want your belongings or shares of assets distributed and/or disposed of upon your death. You choose an executor to carry out your wishes as stated in your will. While the contents of a will are public, the contents of a trust remain private.

A trust is a vehicle or method of managing assets set aside for someone’s benefit, for staggering the distribution of assets to someone, and/or for avoiding the costly process of probate court*. A trust can be used to distribute your assets upon your death. A trust may also be used for children. A trust created while you are still alive is a living trust. It is the most common of several kinds of trusts. A living trust is often called a “will substitute.” In most cases, you appoint a trustee who manages and administers the assets of the trust while being duty-bound to follow your instructions in the trust document. A living revocable trust may be used to cover expenses for a special needs child and/or other minor children.

An irrevocable trust is often used as part of an estate plan to shelter assets from creditors. Many times, people will have this type of trust along with another trust and a will. People can have more than one kind of trust based on the specifics of their circumstances or situation to fulfill their wishes for their assets.

I can guide you in selecting the right kind(s) of trust(s) for your specific circumstances or situation.

When a will is processed through probate court, attorney billable hours can run into thousands of dollars due to the preparation of detailed documentation required by the court that you may not have with the administration of a trust.

More Questions?

Visit Our Q&A Page